Social Media & Business Practices; ICTs, Development & Business; Management Information Systems (MIS); eCommerce; Market / Business Research Methods.
Information and Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD); Urban Women Microentrepreneurs & Mobile phones; Electronic Governance; ICT Employment in India; Indian IT Industry - Inter firm linkages, small firms, R&D centers of MNCs; Social Media & Business applications; Social Media Analytics.
Education & Professional Career
|2004||PhD (Socialogy)||Dept. of Hum & Social Sciences||IIT Kanpur|
|1997||MA (Socialogy)||Dept. of Sociology||Pondicherry University|
|1995||BSc (Physics)||Dept. of Physics, MCC||Madras University|
|Apr 13 -Present||Associate Prof||Dept. of Management Studies, IIT Delhi|
|May 12 - Mar 13||Associate Prof||IIM Rohtak|
|May 05 - May 12||Assistant Prof||Dept. of Hum. & Social Sciences, IIT Delhi|
|Jan 03 - May 05||Post-doc Fellow||IIIT Bangalore|
|Oct 98 - Apr 99||Lecturer||Dept. of Sociology, Pondicherry University|
|Jul 97 - Sep 98||Research Executive||Zone Advisory Services (P) Ltd. Chennai|
- Joseph, N., Kar, A. K., Ilavarasan, P. V., & Iyer, G. (Forthcoming). Review of discussions on Internet of Things (IoT): Insights from Twitter Analytics. Journal of Global Information Management. (IGI - Global).
- Jain, A., Gera, N., & Ilavarasan, P. V. (2016). Whether social media use differs across different personality types? Insights for managing human resources. International Journal of Work Organisation and Emotion, 7 (3), 241 - 256 (Inderscience)
- Rathore, A. K., Tuli, N., & Ilavarasan, P. V. (2016). Pro-Business or Common Citizen?: An Analysis of an Indian Woman CEO's Tweets. International Journal of Virtual Communities and Social Networking (IJVCSN), 8(1), 19-29. (IGI - Global).
- Alathur, S., Ilavarasan, P. V., & Gupta, M. P. (2016). Determinants of e-participation in the citizens and the government initiatives: Insights from India. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 55 (Sept), 25-35. (Elsevier)
- Rathore, A. K., Ilavarasan, P. V., & Dwivedi, Y. K. (2016). Social media content and product co-creation: an emerging paradigm. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 29(1), 7-18. (Emerald)
- Malish, C. M., & Ilavarasan, P. V. (2015). Higher education, reservation and scheduled castes: exploring institutional habitus of professional engineering colleges in Kerala. Higher Education, 1-15. DOI: 10.1007/s10734-015-9966-7. (Springer)
- Srinivasan, N., & Ilavarasan, P. V. (2015). White Elephant or a Game Changer?: An Analysis of National Optical Fibre Network of India. Economic & Political Weekly, 50(42), 59.
- Gunaratne, R. L., Ilavarasan, P. V., Fernando, S., & Rohman, I. K. (2015). National Broadband Networks of Malaysia, India, Indonesia and Australia: A Comparative Study. Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, 16(1), 23-47.
- Chew, H. E., Ilavarasan, P. V., & Levy, M. R. (2015). The amplification effect of mobile phones on female-owned microenterprises. Mobile Media & Communication, 3(3), 317-334. (Sage)
- Devaraj, P. and Ilavarasan, P. V. (2014) Social organisation of knowledge production in software work: A qualitative study of two different firms in Chennai, India. Science, Technology & Society, 19 (2), 229-247. (Sage)
- Ilavarasan, P. V. (2014). R&D Centers of ICT multinationals in India: Executing arms or equal partners? Economic and Political Weekly, 49 (34), 56-63.
- Alathur, S., Ilavarasan, P. V., and Gupta, M. P. (2014). Determinants of Citizens’ Electronic Participation: Insights from India. Transforming Government: People, Process and Policy, 8 (3), 447 - 472. (Emerald)
- Chew, H.E., Ilavarasan, P. V., & Levy, M. (2014). Mattering matters: Agency, empowerment, and mobile phone use by female microentrepreneurs. Information Technology for Development. DOI: 10.1080/02681102.2013.839437 (Taylor & Francis)
- Ilavarasan, P. V. (2013). Community work and limited online activism among India youth. International Communication Gazette, 75 (3), 284-299. (Sage)
- Alathur, S., Ilavarasan, P. V., and Gupta, M. P. (2012). Citizen participation and effectiveness of e-petition: Sutharyakeralam – India. Transforming Government: People, Process and Policy, 6 (4), 392 - 403. (Emerald)
- Chew, H., Ilavarasan, P. V., and Levy, M. R. (2012). A latency effect for mobile phone investments by microentrepreneurs, Media Asia, 39(2), 99-10. (Asian Media Information and Communication Centre, Singapore).
- Ilavarasan, P.V. and Parthasarathy, B. (2012). Limited growth opportunities amidst opportunities for growth: an empirical study of the inter-firm linkages of small software firms in India. Journal of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, 1(4). http//www.innovation-entrepreneurship.com/content/1/1/4 (Springer)
- Tara, S., and Ilavarasan, P.V. (2012). Cabs, Male Drivers & Mid-night Commuting: Public space of unmarried women agents of calls centers in India, AI & Society: Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Communication 27(1), 157-163. (Springer)
- Chew, H., Levy, M. R., and Ilavarasan, P. V. (2011). The limited impact of ICTs on microenterprise growth: A study of businesses owned by women in urban India. Information Technologies and International Development, 7(4), 1-16.
- Tara, S., and Ilavarasan, P.V. (2011). Marriage with midnight work: A qualitative study of unmarried women call center agents in India, Marriage and Family Review, 47:197-212. (Routledge)
- Malish, C.M., and Ilavarasan, P.V. (2010). Exploring the professional status of software work in India, IEEE Technology & Society Magazine, 29(4), 50-54.
- Chew, H., Ilavarasan, P. V., and Levy, M. R. (2010). The Economic Impact of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) on Microenterprises in the Context of Development, Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries, 44 (4), 1-19. (Hongkong University)
- Tara, S., and Ilavarasan, P.V. (2009). "I would not have been working here”: Parental Support to Unmarried Daughters as Call Center Agents in India. Gender, Technology & Development, 13 (13 (3), 385–406. (Sage Publications)
- Hutchinson, F. and Ilavarasan, P.V. (2008). IT/ITES sector and economic policy at the sub-national level in India. Economic and Political Weekly, 43(46), 64-70.
- Ilavarasan, P.V. (2008). Occupational classification of the software workforce: Case of India. Indian Journal of Labour Economics, 51 (1), 105-114. (Indian Society for Labour Economics)
- Ilavarasan, P.V. (2007). Is Software work in India task fragmented? A study of software workers in Bangalore. Sociological Bulletin, 56(3), 383-400. (Published by the Indian Sociological Society)
- Ilavarasan, P.V., and Gupta, S. (2007). Impact of Technological Lock-in: Case of OOXML in India. Economic and Political Weekly, 42 (48), 28-33.
- Ilavarasan, P.V. (2007). Is Indian software workforce a case of uneven and combined development? Equal Opportunities International, 26 (8): 802-822. (Emerald Publications)
- Ilavarasan, P.V. (2006). Are Opportunities Equal for Women in the Information Technology Workplace? Some observations from the Indian software industry. IEEE Technology & Society 25 (4):43-49.
- Ilavarasan, P.V. (2004). Small Software Firms in India: A descriptive analysis. Journal of Systems & Information Technology, 8 (1): 30-39. (Emerald Publications).
- Ilavarasan, P.V., and Sharma, A. K. (2003). Is Software Work Routinized? Some empirical observations from Indian software industry. Journal of Software and Systems, 66 (1): 1-6. (Elsevier)
- Kar, A.K., Gupta, M.P., Ilavarasan, V., & Dwivedi, Y. (Eds.) (2017) Advances in Smart Cities – Smarter People, Governance and Solutions. (Eds). CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, UK. ISBN: TBD.
- Ilavarasan, P. V. (Forthcoming). Information and Communication Technologies in India: Outweighing negatives in development. In: Seetharaman, P. & Cranefield, J. (Ed.). Automation and Computers. Routledge.
- Jain, A., Sharma, R. and Ilavarasan, P. V. (forthcoming). In: Sushil and Singh, S. P. (Eds.). Measuring Innovation by Universities & Higher Academic Technical Institutions in India: Total Interpretive Structural Modelling Based Framework. Springer.
- Singh, A. N and Ilavarasan, P. V. (2016). New Media, Governance, and Transparency in India. In: Narayan, S. S., and Narayanan, S. (Eds). India Connected. Sage: New Delhi.
- Singh, A. K and Ilavarasan, P. V. (Forthcoming). Social Auditing & Transparency: Domestic Cooking Gas Cylinders Distribution in India. Civic Media Reader, MIT Press.
- Ilavarasan, P. V and Hutchinson, F. (2014). Electronics Industry in India: A Regional Policy Approach. In: Hutchinson, F (Ed.) Architects of Growth? Sub-national Governments and Industrialization in Asia. Singapore: ISEAS.
- Malik, P. and Ilavarasan, P.V. (2013). Information and communications technology sector in India. In: Pradon, G. D., Nepelski, D., and Simon, J. P (Ed.) Asia in the Global ICT Innovation Network: Dancing with the tigers. Chandos: Oxford.
- Ilavarasan, P.V. (2013). Digital Divide in India: Inferences from Information and Communication Technology Workforce. In: Ragnedda, M and Muschert, G. W. (Eds.). The Digital Divide: Internet and Social Inequality in International Perspective. London and New York: Routledge.
- Tara, S., and Ilavarasan, P. V. (2012). Altering approaches to Marriage: A study of unmarried women agents in Indian call center industry. Rekha, P., T. Weide , and N. Flipsen (ed) Globalization, Technology Diffusion and Gender Disparity: Social Impacts of ICTs, IGI Press, 262-276.
- Ilavarasan, P. V. (2011). Center for Global’ or ‘Local for Global’? R&D Centers of ICT Multinationals in India, In: Howlett, R. J (Ed.) Innovation through Knowledge Transfer 2010, Berlin: Springer, 275-282.
- Malish, C.M., and Ilavarasan, P.V. (2011). Cultural capital and information capitalism: A case of Indian software industry. In Karatas-Ozkan M (ed) Global Knowledge Workers: Diversity and Relational Perspectives, Edward Elgar Press, p. 114-139.
- Tara, S., and Ilavarasan, P. V. (2009). Parental reactions to daughter’s unconventional work hours at call centers in India. In M. S. Bhatt and A. Illiyan. (Eds.) Information Technology in the Indian Economy, Century, New Delhi, p. 231-243.
- Ilavarasan, P. V. (2008). Indian software workforce: A labour process view. In C. Upadhya and A. R. Vasavi (Eds.) In an outpost of the Global Economy: Work and Workers in the India’s Information Technology Industry, Routledge, New Delhi, p.162-189.
- Malhotra, C., Chariar, V., Das, L. and Ilavarasan, P. V. (2007). ICT for rural development: An inclusive framework for e-Governance. In G.P. Sahu (Ed.) Adopting e-Governance, GIFT Publishing, New Delhi, p. 216-226. .
- Ilavarasan, P. V. (2007). Software Workforce. In: Alternative Economic Survey, India: 2006-2007, Alternative Survey Group, Daanish Books, New Delhi, p.253-260.
- Ilavarasan, P. V. (2006). R & D in Indian software industry. In Roli Varma (Univ. of New Mexico, authored) Managing Industrial Research Effectively, ICFAI University Press, India, 2006, p. 134-143.
- Sharma, A. K. and Ilavarasan, P. V. (2005). Dilemmas of Sustainable Development in India in Readings in Environmental Ethics: Multidisciplinary Perspectives. D.C.Srivastava (Ed.), Rawat Publications, Jaipur, pp.227-240.
- Singh, H., Kar, A.K. & Ilavarasan, V. (Forthcoming). Adoption of e-government services: A case study of e-filing system. Forthcoming in Modeling and Optimization in Science and Technologies (Springer)
- Rathore, A. K., Shioramwar, S., & Ilavarasan, P. V. (2016). Social Customer Relationship Management as Predictor of Customer Relationship Performance: An Empirical Study of B2B and B2C Companies. In Conference on e-Business, e-Services and e-Society (pp. 173-182). Springer International Publishing.
- Ilavarasan, P. V., & Chew, H. E. (2016). A Toolkit on mobile apps for business growth: Insights from design and development. In Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Information and Communication Technology for Competitive Strategies (p. 41-48). (ACM Press).
- Ilavarasan, V., & Rathore, A. (2015, July). Social Media use in Indian Businesses: Inputs for Appropriateness. In ECSM2015-Proceedings of the 2nd European Conference on Social Media 2015: ECSM 2015 (p. 218). Academic Conferences Limited.
- Alathur, A & Ilavarasan, P. V. (2015). A Genre Analysis of E-Participation: The Case of Lokpal Movement for Enactment of Anti-Corruption Bill in India, IFIP 9.4: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Social Implications of Computers in Developing Countries, Negombo, Sri Lanka. pp. 26-37.
- Chew, H.E., Ilavarasan, P. V., & Levy, M. (2014). When there’s a will, there might be a way: The economic impact of mobile phones and entrepreneurial motivation on female-owned microenterprises. ICTD2014, 196-204. (ACM Press)
- Rathore, A. K., & Ilavarasan, P. V. (2014). Mobile adoption in collaborating supply chains: A study of Indian auto SMEs. In Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Information and Communication Technology for Competitive Strategies, ICTCS '14, November 14 - 16 2014, Udaipur, (ACM Press)
- Kumar. J., Ilavarasan, P. V., & Dalvi, G. (Eds.) (2014). Proceedings of the India HCI 2014 Conference on Human Computer Interaction. IHCI '14, New Delhi, 7-9 Dec 2016.
- Ilavarasan, P. V. and Levy, M. R (2012). ICT access and use by microentrepreneur in Mumbai, India: A value chain model analysis. ICTD2012, 259-267. (ACM Press)
- Alathur, S., Ilavarasan, P. V., and Gupta, M. P. (2011). Citizen Empowerment and Participation in E-Democracy: Indian Context. ICEGOV 2011, 11-19. (IEEE Press)
- Alathur, S., Ilavarasan, P. V., and Gupta, M. P. (2011). Citizen Readiness for Participation in EDemocracy: Insights from India. IADIS International Conference on e-Democracy, Equity and Social Justice, Rome, Italy. pp 56-60.
- Upadhyay, A. and Ilavarasan, P. V. (2011). Social media, e-Governance and developing countries: Insights from India. ICEGOV 2011, 351-352. (IEEE Press)
- Ilavarasan, P. V. and Levy, M. R. (2009). Fone band... Dukan band! (Mobile Phone Close… Shop Close!) Design Issues and Preliminary Findings from a Study of ICTs and Urban Micro-Enterprises in India, Proceedings of the 3rd International IDIA Development Informatics Conference, 28-30 October, 226-244.
- Ilavarasan, P. V. , and Malish, C. M. (2008). Computing professionals in e-governance: policy implications. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance (ICEGOV 2008), 239-244.2008. (ACM Press)
- Ilavarasan, P. V. (2007). Exclusivity of the ICT direct employment: A case of Indian software workforce. Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development, Bangalore, 15-16, December, p. 273-278.
- Bhattacharya, J., Ilavarasan, P. V., and Gupta, S. (2007). Open standards and accessibility to information: A critical analysis of OOXML in India. Proceedings of the 1st international conference on Theory and practice of electronic governance. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, Vol. 232, 151-154.
- Ilavarasan, P. V. (2007). How do small software firms survive in India? Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Webometrics, Informetrics, Scientometrics and Science and Society, New Delhi, March 6-9, p.337-343.
- Ilavarasan, P. V., and Sharma, A. K. (2005). I don’t remember what my designation is: Classifying Indian software workers. Proceedings of the Ninth Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems, July 7-10, Bangkok, Thailand, p.69-85.
- Sharma, A. K. and Ilavarasan, P. V. (2003). Issues in sustainable development. Proc. of the International Conference on Population, Development and Environment. Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani (India), 15-16 Mar., p.100-108.
- Ilavarasan, P. V., and Sharma, A. K. (2002). Does capability maturity model matter? Mature Vs immature software organizations. In Subic, A. J. et al. ICQR 2002: Proc. of the 3rd International Conference on Quality and Reliability. RMIT University, Melbourne, 28-30 August, Australia, p.133-141.
- Ilavarasan, P. V. (Forthcoming). Enabling BharatNet Access: Where do the Institutional Users Stand? (LIRNEasia)
- Ilavarasan, P. V., Otieno, A., Huang, Y., Cabotaje, C., & Sahay, G. (Forthcoming). Does access to business relevant information through networked devices enhance the internal efficiency and business growth of the urban MSMEs in low and middle income countries? A Systematic Review report. (EPPI Center)
- Ilavarasan, P. V & Vagrani, A. (2015). E-inclusion - Information technology training for rural scheduled caste, scheduled tribe and women beneficiaries: An impact assessment study. Report submitted to Ministry of Communications & Information Technology, New Delhi, May.
- Ilavarasan, P. V. (2013). 'Center-for-global' or 'local-for-global’? An examination of FDI in R&D centers of IT MNEs in India. Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council (TIFAC), Department of Science & Technology.
- (2014). What do telecom sector experiences offer to public service delivery? Retrieved from http://lirneasia.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/What-do-the-telecom-sector-experiences-offer-for-public-service-delivery_1.pdf (LIRNEasia)
- 2014. National Optical Fibre Network of India: A Position Paper. April. LIRNEAsia Working Paper Series (Jointly with Srinivasan, N). (LIRNEasia)
- 2010. 'ICTs and Urban Microenterprises: Identifying and Maximizing Opportunities for Economic Development'. International Development Research Center, Canada. July. Available at http://www.idrc.ca/uploads/user-S/12802403661ICTs_and_Urban_Microenterprises_104170-001.pdf (jointly with Mark Levy)
- 2007. Small ICT Firms in Developing Countries: An Analytical Case Study of India. International Institute of Information Technology Bangalore. (Jointly with Dr. Balaji Parthasarathy).
- 2006. Equity Assurance Plan for the Disadvantaged Groups in Vocational Education and Training in India. For World Bank & Directorate of Employment and Training, Ministry of Labour and Employment, India.
- 2004. Outsourcing Auto Engineering Design and Services to India. For a Multinational Auto Manufacturer. (Jointly with Dr. Balaji Parthasarathy)
- 2016. I Am For Free Basics, Where Benefits Outweigh the Risks. http://www.cfo-india.in/article/2016/03/15/i-am-free-basics-where-benefits-outweigh-risks
- 2013. Improving service delivery in public services via electronic means. The Indo-German E-Governance Forum 2013, October. http://www.giz.de/en/downloads/giz2014-en-indo-german-e-governance-forum-2013.pdf
- 2013. Motivation Increases Mobile Phone Impact in Microenterprises. http://unu.edu/publications/articles/motivation-and-mobile-phone-impact-in-microentreprises.html (Jointly with Han Ei & Levy, M)
- 2013. Ilavarasan,P.V., Kar, A.K. (2012). Websites as small but a significant market space in India: A Forecast. http://business-fundas.com/2013/websites-as-small-but-a-significant-market-space-in-india-a-forecast/ (Jointly with Arpan Kar)
- 2009. Why doesn't Infosys innovate? Financial Express, 17 Aug.
- 2008. BPOs take tier-II call for new operations. Economic Times, 8th March. (Jointly with Francis Hutchinson).
- 2007. Small IT firms face big growth challenges. Economic Times, 16th August.
- 2004. How to manage benched staff? IT People 8th March.
- Forthcoming. The Local Impact of Globalization in South and Southeast Asia: Offshore Business Processes in Services Industries. Journal of Southeast Asian Economies.
- Forthcoming. The Long Revolution: The Birth and Growth of India's IT Industry. Economic and Political Weekly.
- 2008. Information Society and Development: The Kerala Experience. Sociological Bulletin.
- 2006. Silicon Valley of Dreams: Environmental Injustice, Immigrant Workers, and the High-Tech Global Economy. Regional Studies Journal, 40 (6), 805-806.
- 2006. Social Science Knowledge and Economic Development: An Institutional Design Perspective. On the Horizon, 14 (3), 139-142.
- 2005. Innovative milieu for high-tech SMEs in West of England and Singapore-Johor areas. Regional Studies Journal, 39 (6): 829-830.
As Principal Investigator (INR 20,754,721)
- 2013 – 2016. The Impact of Microloans, Mobile Phones and Business Training on Microenterprises Owned by Women in Developing Countries: An Experimental Study in Coimbatore, India. International Development and Research Corporation, Canada. INR. 11,464,175. (Jointly with Han Ei Chew & Mark R Levy)
- 2016. Digital Literacy Training to Non-IT Literate Citizens: An Impact Assessment Study of the National Digital Literacy Mission / Digital Saksharta Abhiyan. CSC e-Governance Services India Limited, Ministry of Communications & Information Technology, New Delhi. INR 68,00,000 (Jointly with Arpan Kumar Kar).
- 2015. E-Inclusion – Information Technology Training for Rural Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe and Women beneficiaries: An Impact Assessment Study. CSC e-Governance Services India Limited, Ministry of Communications & Information Technology, New Delhi. INR 2,50,000
- 2008-2010. ICTs and Urban Micro Enterprises: ICTs and Urban Micro-enterprises: Identifying and Maximizing Opportunities for Economic Development. International Development and Research Corporation, Canada. INR. 80, 95,546. (Jointly with Mark Levy)
- 2008-2010. 'Center-for-global' or 'local-for-global’? An examination of FDI in R&D centers of IT MNEs in India. Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council (TIFAC), Department of Science & Technology. India. INR. 3, 95, 000.
- 2006-2007. Equity Assurance Plan for the Disadvantaged Groups in Vocational Education and Training in India. For World Bank & Directorate of Employment and Training, Ministry of Labour and Employment, India. Cost: INR 8, 00,000.
- 2014-2016. Facilitating policy discourse leading to increased broadband access by the poor. Ford Foundation, New Delgi. 300000 USD (PI – LIRNEasia, Sri Lanka)
- 2010-2014. IT sector in India: Survey of occupations. Association pour l’Emploi des Cadres, France. INR. 10,00,000 (PI – Dr. Roland Lardinois)
- 2010. Open text books – eContent generation and sharing laboratory, Ministry of Human Resourced Development, India. INR 18, 0000. (PI - Dr. Shishir Jha).
- 2008-2010. Study on the trends in public and private investments in ICT R&D in China, India and Taiwan, and on the globalisation of R&D and the competitiveness of their innovation systems in ICT, ICEG, Hungary. INR 40,00,000 (PI – Ms. Payal Malik)
- 2004-05. Small ICT Firms in Developing Countries: An Analytical Case Study of India. The Leverhulme Trust, London. UK. ~ INR 19, 00, 000 (PI - Dr. Balaji Parthasarathy).
- 2009-onwards. Youth, ICTs and Political Engagement in Asia – India, Ideacorp, Philippines.INR 53,07,045. (PI – Dr. Weiyu Zhang)
- 2004. Outsourcing Auto Engineering Design and Services to India. For a Multinational Auto Manufacturer. Cost: INR 2, 00, 000 (PI - Dr. Balaji Parthasarathy)
Talks and Presentations
- 2017. Grants & Projects. Sharada University, 6 Jan. (Invited by Dr Hari)
- 2016. Research Grants: Finding & Getting. GLA University, Mathura, 15th Oct. (Invited by Dr Aruna Dhamija)
- 2016. Tiny Impact of ICTs and Paucity of Rigorous Causal Studies: A systematic review of urban MSMEs in the developing world. United Nations University - Macau, 23 May. (Invited by Dr Michael Best)
- 2016. Social media in governance. National Institute of Smart Governance, New Delhi, 7 Apr. (Invited by Ms Mehta)
- 2016. Mobile Phones & Microenterprises in ICTD: The Field & Experiences. IIT Roorkee. 16 Jan. (Invited by Dr A.J. Mishra)
- 2015. Social Media for Election Commission of India. 17 Dec. (Invited by Mr D Ohja)
- 2015. Mobile Phones & Microenterprises in ICTD: The Field & Experiences. IIT Indore. 2 Mar. (Invited by Dr Ruchi Sharma)
- 2015. Content analysis and use of CAQDAS. Dept. of Education, Delhi University. 20 Feb. (Invited by Dr. Sailaja).
- 2015. CAQDAS in Qualitative Research. National University of Education Planning and Administration, New Delhi. 30 July. (Invited by Dr Suman Negi).
- 2015. Panelist - From NOFN to Bharat Net – Critical Success Factors. Second Regional ITS Conference, Connectivity for All: Future Technologies, Markets and Regulation', at New Delhi, December 13-15.
- 2014. Information Model for Business Registration in India: Lessons from Telecom? Workshop on Enabling Information Systems for Local Governance, Jamia Milia Islamia, 18 Sept. (Invited by Dr. Ravi Shukla)
- 2014. Quantitative Survey. Workshop on Research relevant to broadband policy and regulatory processes. Ford Foundation, 19-22, August. (Invited by Dr. Rohan Samarajiva)
- 2014. Sustainability of Indian ICT sector: Some insights. International Conference on Fashion, Retail and Management, National Institute of Fashion Technology, Hyderabad. 10 January. (Invited by Prof. Rajaram)
- 2014. ICTs and Public Service Delivery in India. Refresher Course on Media Studies, Culture and Governance, Jamia Milia Islamia, 29 Jan. (Invited by Dr. Vibodh Parthasarathy)
- 2014. ICT for Poverty Reduction: Case of Urban BoP Microentrepreneurs in Developing Countries. International Summer School on Information & Communication Technology for Democracy, 10 March. (Invited by Prof. Vikas Kumar)
- 2014. ICTs and Development: Some reflections. ICTs & Development Symposium 2014. VIT University, 28 March. (Invited by Dr. Prabhakar)
- 2011. ICTs & Urban Microenterprises: Inferences for B2G/G2B egovernance Initiatives, Ecole Politechnique Federale Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland, Executive Masters in e-Governance, Anna University, 3rd Mar. (Invited by Prof. Abdul Razak)
- 2010. Bridging the digital divide for inclusive growth. Management development programme on New Generation E-Governance, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade. 7th June (Invited by Dr. R. K. Mitra)
- 2010. Do mobile phones lead to development? Case of urban microentreprenuers in Mumbai City. Center of Development Studies, Trivandrum, 1st July (Invited by Prof. K. J. Joseph)
- 2010. Use of ICTs by urban microenterprises in developing countries. INSEAD Business School, Abu Dhabi Campus, May 13. (Invited by Prof. Mezias)
- 2010. How do you rank the 28+2 States/provinces in India? Index for potential investors. INSEAD Business School, Abu Dhabi Campus, May 11. (Invited by Prof. Mezias)
- 2010. Part of Brains or executing arms? R&D Centers of IT MNEs in India. INSEAD Business School, Abu Dhabi Campus, May 12. (Invited by Prof. Mezias)
- 2009. Open Standards & Universities: Need for Collaborations. China Education & Research Conference, 22nd April, Chengdu. (Invited by Dr. Dennis Ding)
- 2009. Labour Process in Indian Software Work: Some Developments. 34th All India Sociological Conference, Research Committee: Science, Technology & Society, 10-12 Oct., Srinagar. (Invited by Prof. Batra)
- 2009. Politics of Technology Open Standards. School of Social Sciences, Hyderabad Central University, 24 Jan. (Invited by Dr. Nagaraju)
- 2008. ICT for Development in India: A view from the research world. NASSCOM Foundation National Consultation: ICT for rural Inclusion: Access, Empowerment, Employability, New Delhi, 16th Dec. (Invited by Ms. Rufina Fernandes)
- 2008. Homogeneous workforce & Social segmentations: Insights from the Indian software sector. Mahatma Gandhi Labour Institute, Ahmedabad, 6th February. (Invited by Prof. I. S. Singh)
- 2008. Using Software for qualitative data analysis: Experiences of an empirical study. V. V. Giri National Labour Institute, 8th February. (Invited by Dr. Babu Remesh)
- 2007. Open standards and E-governance: Implications for India. Gargi College, University of Delhi, 31st October. (Invited by Ms. Pooja)
- 2007. Small Software Firms in India: Innovators or Hygiene Factors? Centre for Studies in Science Policies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 22nd Aug, New Delhi. (Invited by Prof. V.V. Krishna)
- 2007. Social Impact of Open Standards: Case of ODF in India, National Seminar on Open Standards, 8th June, Kolkata. (Invited by the ODF Alliance)
- 2005. Researching Information Technology: Scope for Social Scientists. Dept. of Sociology, Pondicherry University, Pondicherry, March 9th. (Invited by Prof. Gunasekaran)
- 2004. Productivity of Small Software Firms in India: A Research Note. Dept. of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, 1st January. (Invited by Dr. Munmun Jha)
- 2003. Is Software Work Routinized in India?: Some empirical observations from Indian software industry. Research Seminar Series. Indian Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore, 29th March. (Invited by Dr. Srinath Srinivasa)
- 2002. Routinization and CMM in Indian software industry: Preliminary findings from an empirical study. Dept. of Industrial Management and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, March. (Invited by Dr. Rahul Varman)
- 2016. Adoption and Acceptance of mandatory Electronic Public Services by Citizens in the Developing World: Three Case Studies from India. International Conference on Smart Cities, ICEG, IIT Delhi, India. (Presented by Singh, H)
- 2016. Pizza to Policy: Social Media Analytics of a Pizza and implications for policy making. Paper presented at CPRsouth 2016, Zanzibar. 8-10 Sept. (Presented by Rathore, A. K.)
- 2016. Measuring Research Efficiency of Higher Academic Premier Technical Institutions of India: A Data Envelopment Analysis Based Malmquist Productivity Index Approach’. 3rd International Conference on Management of Intellectual Property Rights and Strategy (MIPS), National Institute of Industrial Engineering, Mumbai. 15-16 July. (Presented by Jain, A)
- 2016. Whether personality type determines the nature of Social Media use? An Empirical Study among the Aspiring Managers’. International Conference on role of Social Media on Organizational Sustainability (ICROSMOS). Jaipuria Institute of Management, Noida, India. 12-13 February. (Presented by Jain, A)
- 2015. E-Filing Portal of Income Tax Department of India - A Case Study. 48th International Conference and Annual Convention of Operational Research Society of India, Bhubaneswar, India. (Presented by Singh, H)
- 2015. Pro-Business or Common Citizen? An analysis of an Indian Woman CEO’s Tweets. Paper presented at International Conference on The Role of Social Media for Organizational Sustainability, Noida, 12-13 Feb. (Presented by Rathore, A. K.)
- 2015. User Generated Content as Customer Co- Creation in New Product Development: Insights from Social Media Analytics. Paper presented at Second Regional International Telecommunications Society conference, New Delhi. 13-15 December. (Presented by Rathore, A. K.)
- 2015. Measuring Innovation by Universities & Higher Academic Technical Institutions in India: Interpretive Structural Modelling based Framework’. Fifteenth Global Conference of Global Institute of Flexible Systems Management (GLOGIFT 15). Symbiosis International University, Pune, India. 23-25 October. (Presented by Jain, A).
- 2015. Out-of-Cycle Review of India`s Intellectual Property Rights by US: A Review. 4th Biennial Indian Academy of Management (IAM) Conference. Indian Institute of Management Lucknow, Noida Campus. 11-13 December. (Presented by Jain, A)2015. User Generated Content as Customer Co- Creation in New Product Development: Insights from Social Media Analytics. Second Regional ITS Conference, Connectivity for All: Future Technologies, Markets and Regulation', at New Delhi, December 13-15. (Presented by A. K. Rathore)
- 2015. What differentiates the path to e-inclusion? Second Regional ITS Conference, Connectivity for All: Future Technologies, Markets and Regulation', at New Delhi, December 13-15. (Presented by A. Vagrani)
- 2015. Social media use in Indian businesses: Inputs for Appropriateness. Paper presented at European Conference on Social Media, Portugal, 9-10 July. (Presented by Rathore, A. K.)
- 2015. A Framework for Social Customer Relationship Management: A Study of Indian Businesses. Paper presented at Fifteenth Global Conference on Flexible Systems Management (GLOGIFT15), Pune. 23-25 October. (Presented by Rathore, A. K.)
- 2014. Mobile Adoption in Collaborating Supply Chains: A Study of Indian Auto SMEs. Paper presented at International Conference on Information and Communication Technology for Competitive Strategies, Udaipur. 14-16 Nov. (Presented by Rathore, A. K)
- 2014. National Broadband Networks: What works and what doesn’t? 3rd Florence Conference on the Regulation of Infrastructures, Firenze. 13 June. (Presented by R. L. Gunaratne).
- 2014. 'Improving service delivery in the electricity sector in Sri Lanka, India and Bangladesh: Possible lessons from the telecom sector. ICMB 2014, London School of Economics and Political Science, 4-5 June.
- 2012. Linkage between period of mobile phone usage and business growth: An empirical study of microentrepreneurs in Mumbai, India. m4d2012, New Delhi, 28-29, Feb.
- 2011. Analysis of Electronics Industry in Chennai, Tamilnadu: Inputs for Regional Policy Making. State Policy and Industrial Transformation at the Sub-National Level in Asia, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore, 7 Oct.
- 2010. The Economic Impact of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) on Microenterprises in the Context of Development. ICA 2010, 23 June. International Communication Association, Singapore. (Jointly with Prof. Mark Levy)
- 2010. ICTs and Economic growth in urban microenterprises. ICTs and Development: An International Workshop for Theory, Practice and Policy. March 11-12, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi.
- 2009. Open windows of opportunity and local interdependencies: The IT/ITES sector and economic policy at the sub-national level in India. Technology, Public Policy and Development: Shifting Contexts, Transforming Agendas" January 22– 24, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad.
- 2008. ICT in India: Value added, R&D Expenditure, Personnel & Trade Flows. Workshop on The trends in public and private investments in ICT R&D in China, India and Taiwan and on the globalisation of R&D and the competitiveness of their innovation system in ICT, 29th September, European Commission's Institute for Prospective Technological Studies, Brussels.
- 2008. High-tech labour and social segmentations: A case of Indian software workforce. XXXII Indian Social Science Congress, 17-22 December, Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi.
- 2007. When we started, nothing was here: Insights on firm location of small software firms in India. International Seminar on IT Industry in India-Prospects, Retrospects and Policies, 1-2 November, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
- 2007. They are cool about it: Parental reactions to daughter's unconventional work hours at the call centers in India. International Seminar on IT Industry in India-Prospects, Retrospects and Policies, 1-2 November, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi. (Jointly with Shelly Tara)
- 2007. Disadvantaged groups in Industrial Training Institutes in India: Problems and Remedial Measures. National Seminar on Enhancing Access and Performance of Disadvantaged Sections of Society in Technical and Vocational Education, March 22-23, Chandigarh.
- 2007. Small software firms at the margins: Some observations. National Conference on Decentralized Innovation: Focus on Rural and Small Urban Enterprises, NISTADS, New Delhi, 16-17, March.
- 2006. Indian software workforce: Inferences for the digital divide. Invited paper for a panel discussion under Research Committee 21, 32nd National Conference of the All India Sociological Society, Chennai, 26-28, December.
- 2006. Unevenness in Indian Software Workforce. 10th Annual Conference of Indian Political Economy Association (IPEA), August 11 & 12, Udaipur.
- 2006. Firm location preferences of Indian software export entrepreneurs. 32nd All India Sociological Conference, Chennai, 27-29 December.
- 2006. Indian software workforce: A case of digital divide. 32nd All India Sociological Conference, Chennai, 27-29 December.
- 2006. Unevenness in the Indian software workforce. 10th Annual Conference of Indian Political Economy Association, Udaipur, August 11 & 12.
- 2005. Invisible barriers to entry for minorities in Indian software workforce. Paper presented at the XXXI All India Sociological Conference, Jammu, 25-27 October, 2005.
- 2005. Role of Social Capital in Evolution of Small Software Firms in India. National Seminar on the concept of Social Capital and its Relevance for Theory, Research and Policy, Dept. of Sociology, Pondicherry University, Pondicherry, Mar. 10-11.
- 2002. Sustainable Development: Shift from Population to Cultural Paradigm. International Conference on Population, Development and Environment, BITS Pilani, 15- 16 March (jointly with A. K. Sharma)
- 2002. Software Work in India: Profession or Occupation? 24th All India Sociological Conference, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, Dec. 16-18. (Jointly with A. K. Sharma)
- 2002. Dilemmas in Sustainable Development. National Seminar on Environmental Ethics: To What Extent Does it Go Beyond Human-Centered Ethics, Organized by Christ Church College Kanpur and sponsored by Indian Council of Philosophical Research, January 21- 23 (jointly with A. K. Sharma)
- 2002. Managing Bench Workers in Indian Software Industry: An Agenda. National Seminar on Structure of Employment and its Interface with Technology: Present Status and Policy Imperatives for Productivity Enhancement, HSS Department, IIT Delhi, 27- 28 March. (Jointly with A. K. Sharma)
- Life Member, Global Institute of Flexible Systems in Management
- Life Member, All India Management Association
- Life Member, Indian Sociological Society
- Life Member, Indian Society for Labour Economics
- Life Member, Indian Society for Training & Development
- 2016. Co - Director. Residential Workshop on ‘How to engage in broadband policy and regulatory processes?’ IIT Delhi. 16-19 Dec, Jointly with LIRNEasia. Funded by the Ford Foundation.
- 2016. Co - Director. Residential Workshop on ‘How to engage in broadband policy and regulatory processes?’ IIT Delhi. 19-22 Aug & 16-20 Dec Jointly with LIRNEasia. Funded by the Ford Foundation.
- 2016. Co – Chair. Expert Forum on Strategies for optimizing benefits of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) for growth of MSMEs in the developing world. 26 April. IIT Delhi, Jointly with LIRNEasia. Funded by the DFID, UK & IDRC, Canada.
- 2016. Co Program Chair. International Conference in Smart Cities. IIT Delhi. 22-23 Jan. Jointly with Swansea University and Waterford Institute of Technology.
- 2016. Co-Director. Advances in Business Analytics from 19-22nd March, 2016
- 2015. Co-Director. Short term / TEQIP course on Advancing Research in Management. IIT Delhi, 3-5 Dec 2015.
- 2015. Co-Chair. HITLAB Innovators Summit India. IIT Delhi, 7 Aug. 2015, Jointly with HITLAB.
- 2013. Co-convener - Thirteenth Global Conference on Flexible Systems Management, IIT Delhi. December, 13 – 15, 2013
- 2010 (Dec), Co-Editor. Special Issue on ICTs and Development, Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries, HongKong University. (Jointly with Mark Levy).
- 2010. ICTs and Development: An International Workshop for Theory, Practice and Policy. March 11-12, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi.
- 2009. Brainstorming Workshop on Enabling Innovation in Indian IT industry, at TIFAC / IIT Delhi. (Jointly with Ms. Kiran). November, 13.
- 2005. Conference Secretary. International Conference on Productivity, Quality and Research (ICPQR), 12-14 Dec., IIT Delhi.
Asian Journal of Political Science, Communications of ACM, Digital Transformations and Global Society 2016, ICTD2016, IFIP 2016, Int. J. of Indian Culture and Business Management, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management, Journal of Development Studies, Journal of Information Policy, Research Policy, Strategic Outsourcing: an international journal, Technological Forecasting & Social Change, Technology in Society
P. Vigneswara Ilavarasan (PhD - IIT Kanpur) is Associate Professor at the Dept. of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi. He researches and teaches about production and consumption of information and communication technologies (ICTs) with a special focus on India. His specific research interests are Information and Communication Technologies & Development (ICTD); Indian IT industry; and Social Media. He is an active contributor to the international journals and conferences of repute.
Dr. Ilavarasan has been a Visiting Research Fellow at United Nations University - School of Computing and Society (Macau). He is a recipient of the Outstanding Young Faculty Fellowship Award at IIT Delhi and Prof. M.N. Srinivas Memorial Prize of the Indian Sociological Society. He is also a Research Fellow at LIRNEasia, a regional ICT policy and regulation think tank. He has received large research grants from IDRC (Canada), Govt. of India, Oxford Analytica (UK), IPTS (European Commission) and IdeaCorp (Philippines).
Dr Ilavarasan had taught at Pondicherry Central University and Indian Institute of Management Rohtak, Indore and Amritsar. His present teaching interests include: Management Information Systems; E-Commerce; Social Media; Business / Market Research Methods; and ICTs, Development & Business.